Speaking in Fayetteville before the Northwest Arkansas Touchdown Club this afternoon, Long talked about the so far disappointing season and the search for a permanent coach that began with Bobby Petrino's firing.
Long started his remarks discussing the fact that the Hog Football program is "not where we want to be. Not where we thought we would be," and added the coaches are "upset about where we are."
Razorback Nation Producer Jason Carroll sent the following tweets on Long's remarks. They are listed here in reverse order:
- It will be clear at end of season if John L. is a candidate or not. Nobody is happy where we stand today given expectations.
- Recruiting, I think they have done quite well giving the circumstances. A lot may change with the right head coach.
- The list of coaches in his head (points to head). Not going to carry list in his back pocket. I know who is out there. Have to do research.
- Is not going to rule out offensive or defensive coordinators at this point. Not going to eliminate anybody.
- Have not changed stance on playing Arkansas State. Don't see stance changing.
- At this point have not narrowed to offense or defense. Remains to be seen as this goes forward.
- We will know shortly after season. We will know what direction we are doing. Really will be after the season on figuring out coach.
- Will be at A&M and will look at some of their new facilities. Like to see what competitors are doing an how our program stacks up.
- Taking questions now. First one on potential coaches needed to be done confidentially
- Have proven winning can be done at Arkansas. Financially, we have put ourselves in position to compete. Notes passion of the fan base.
- I think we will have quality candidates. U of A up and coming institution. Success follows success. SEC most competitive in country.
- Search will not be conducted in public. Conducted in private manner. Hope people understand that. Going to do this confidentially.
- As we go through season plenty of rumors about who will coach will be. Understand that. Comes with passionate fan base.
- Passion for success and willing to work tirelessly. Someone who will lead coaches and players and who embraces program.
- Must identify the best leader for football program. Process began in April and continues today.
- Long is now talking about facilities and importance to athletes. Academic importance to athletes.
- Recently reminded of something Coach Broyles told me. We win as a team we lose as a team. You win and lose with class and dignity.
- It is my job to keep us focused on the future. Never stop working on the future.
- I will fulfill my commitment to players and coaches for season. I will not abandon them. Confident they will work hard to win games.
- My first obligation is to students. Our program begins with student athletes.
- Supporting team best for short term and long term. Not one coach or player left last April. I still believe in them.
- In past weeks have seen fans standup for our team. Last Saturday night fans were in game. They stayed in game. Meant a lot to team.
- Embrace high expectation. Not going to shy away from expectations. I have remained behind players and coaching staff for season.
- Have been pleased with continued attitude and work ethic. When you lose, nobody takes it well. Pleased with how team continues to work.
- We are not where we want to be. Not where we thought we would be. Coaches upset about where we are.