The discovery was made in mid-February during construction of natural hiking and bicycle trails.
Workers found three old artillery rounds, one mortar, and one fuse near the main Boy Scout trail head located southwest of Interstate 40, south of J. K. Poch Drive, and north of the RV Park.
The North Little Rock Police and Fire Departments, along with the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team for the Little Rock Air Force Base (LRAFB) worked together to ensure the items were stable before removing them to LRAFB.
The area where they were found is temporarily closed for assessment.
Burns Park was once part of Camp Robinson/Camp Pike and Fort Roots before the city bought 870 acres in 1949 to create the park. Another 656 acres was added from the Fort Roots Reservation in 1956.
Military relics, including munitions, have been found at Burns Park before, but last month's find is the greatest concentration of munitions yet uncovered.
Records have been requested from the government to determine the past use of the site to aid in the assessment of the area.
While Burns Park officials say in its 60-year history there has never been an accidental detonation of abandoned military ordnance there, they urge visitors to understand the risks associated with old military ordnance and to call police if any are found.
A search of the area by park personnel has not turned up any other munitions, but until an assessment is complete, visitors are advised to stay on designated trails and to remember no digging or fires are allowed.