It happened on Monday on West Second Street.
No one in the family was hurt in the fire.
According to the El Dorado Fire Department, the family had removed ash from a wood burning stove and placed it on the front porch where the dog was chained up.
Once the fire started, the dog was the first one to feel the flames.
Officials believe the dog barking out of pain may have alerted the family that their house was on fire.
"He was making a lot of noise when we got there. The dog was getting burned and he was in undoubtedly a lot of pain and so he was howling extremely loudly."
The dog suffered severe burns, and was taken to a local animal clinic to be treated for its injuries.
The front of the home was gutted by the fire.