At a news conference late Wednesday afternoon, Dr. Morris Holmes discussed what he called "alarming information regarding mistreatment."
The news conference followed the publication of an article in the Arkansas Times newsmagazine about the alleged problems.
KARK 4 Reporter Brittney Johnson posted the following via Twitter from the news conference:
- Dr. Holmes is concerned a study started in 2006 found students were being treated poorly, upset the district wasn't alerted sooner.
- Dr. Holmes says he and board members have never seen the study. He says he would've focused on harassment if he knew it were a problem.
- "Ladies and gentlemen I do not take prisoners...I intend to pursue the source of this information."-Dr. Holmes
- Dr. Holmes says the district is putting a leadership team together to conduct a thorough review of alleged harassment claims.
- "If I did not think of Dr. Richard as an honest man, I would say he does not have a study. Surely a study will service now."-Dr. Holmes
- LRSD board pres. Carreiro is now addressing the room. Says he thinks it's important to have specific incidents so they can be investigated.
- Dr. Holmes also mentioned the district has been working to recruit Latino administrators, so far without luck.
- Dr. Holmes says board learned of issues/study last Thursday.
Click here to read the letter Superintendent Holmes wrote to Board Members.