In the wake of the storm, Heifer says its team there is reporting damage to several Heifer Haiti projects, including loss of animals, loss of and damage to gardens and homes, as well as damage to one breeding center.
Ewaldy Estil, northern field coordinator for Heifer Haiti, said the country team is reaching out to Heifer project community leaders by phone, and is able to report the following thus far:
- In the community of Gressier, where Heifer works with MOPLANDAH, 32 goats were killed (eight from the breeding center and 24 that belonged to project families). The roof of the breeding center was also damaged.
- In Petit Goave, where Heifer works with AIFO, one bull was killed and 86 small farms were destroyed. Irrigation canals were littered by debris.
- In Montrouis, where Heifer works with Tet Kole, the water irrigation system for the forage crops around the breeding center was damaged, and one goat from the breeding center was killed.
- In Ivwa, leaders reported that 50 houses were destroyed, and 10 homes built by Heifer had their roofs damaged or destroyed.
- In the region of Artibonite (Lester and Marchand Dessalines), where Heifer is working with RACPABA, crops were lost.
- On Lake Peligre in the center of the country, where Heifer is working with ACDELP on a cage-fishing project, fingerlings were killed by excessive sedimentation in the lake.
- Information is pending from Gros Morne.