"It's just a real bright flash and extremely loud... Within a couple of minutes I could smell smoke and saw flames starting to come up the wall," said Luke Garrett.
A lightning strike in Bentonville Wednesday morning set the Garrett's house on fire, forcing Luke and his wife Dee to spend the night in tents.
"I'm still stunned. It's just hard to get my head wrapped around everything that's happened the last couple of days," Luke says.
"Still very shocked, I mean, the tears just won't quit flowing especially when we lay our head down. It's, it's going to take a while," said Dee.
Filtering through ash-covered debris, the Garretts never thought they would be on the receiving end of the Red Cross' help.
"You always think it's always happening to somebody else down the road and that it would never happen to me, but it just goes to show that we need to always be prepared for whatever may happen," Garrett says.
Less than two months ago, Luke was honored as an American Red Cross Hero for his hours of volunteer work.
"I'm a CPR, a first aid and AED instructor."
So from a recognized local hero, to now needing help, Luke is grateful his work has come full circle with Red Cross volunteer Linda Morgan lending a helping hand.
"Anytime somebody's in need from a disaster, we get a phone call and we're there," Morgan says. "To see a smile on their face and know that they're getting some assistance, that just means the world to me."
"It's just nice to know that they're there around the clock. 24 hours a day," said Luke.
Even as the Garretts gather their charred possessions, they are holding fast to their faith and remaining positive.
"I'm just thankful to know that there are people in the community that do care and they have really extended their hand and showed their support for us," he says.
Luke said they are counting their blessings, as he, his wife and their two dogs made it out okay.
He also said a local pastor set up a Luke and Dee Garrett Donation Fund at Arvest Bank.