They will share $2-million in federal funding for improvements.
Airports receiving funding are as follows:
- Camden - Harrell Field Airport: The city of Camden will receive $33,800 to rehabilitate the runway and taxiway lighting systems at Harrell Field Airport in Camden. The rehabilitation of the lighting systems will ensure safe airfield operations in low visibility conditions.
- Crossett - Z M Jack Stell Field: The city of Crossett will receive $90,000 to install perimeter fencing at Z M Stell Field Airport in Crossett. This project will prevent unauthorized individuals and vehicles from entering the airfield.
- Hope - Hope Municipal Airport: The city of Hope will receive $387,000 to rehabilitate the runway at Hope Municipal Airport. The rehabilitation of the runway is needed to maintain the structural integrity of the pavement and to minimize foreign object debris.
- Marshall - Searcy County Airport: The county of Searcy will receive $355,419 to rehabilitate runway lighting and install taxiway lighting at the Searcy County Airport in Marshall. These improvements will enhance safe airfield operations during low visibility conditions.
- Melbourne - Melbourne Municipal- John E Miller Field Airport: The city of Melbourne will receive $150,000 to install a vertical/visual guidance system that will make the airport more accessible to pilots. Funding will also be used to make drainage improvements that will allow the airport to adequately handle storm water runoff.
- Mountain Home - Baxter County Airport: The county of Baxter will receive $495,000 to rehabilitate the apron that has reached the end of its useful life. Funds will also be used to install a vertical/visual guidance system, which will make the airport more accessible to pilots.
- Piggott - Piggott Municipal Airport: The city of Piggott will receive $281,770 to rehabilitate and expand the apron at Piggott Municipal Airport. The rehabilitation of the apron is needed to maintain the structural integrity of the pavement, and the expansion is needed for additional aircraft parking.
- Springdale - Springdale Municipal Airport: The city of Springdale will receive $153,000 to install a vertical/visual guidance system and to install an automatic weather observing system that will improve the safety and efficiency of the airport by providing accurate, current, and site-specific weather information. Funds will also be used to install perimeter fencing that will prevent unauthorized persons and vehicles from entering onto the airfield.
- Stuttgart - Stuttgart Municipal Airport: The city of Stuttgart will receive $171,000 to rehabilitate the runway and taxiway at Stuttgart Municipal Airport. The rehabilitation of the runway and taxiway is needed to maintain the structural integrity of the pavement. Funding will also be used to conduct an airport drainage study.
"Local airports are a vital resource for Arkansas communities, helping attract economic development and giving residents more convenient travel options," Pryor said. "These federal funds will allow our airports to make important upgrades and additions so they can better serve residents and travelers."
"Arkansas airports are a vital component to economic development and job creation in our state," Boozman said. "Improvements to these facilities with federal dollars is an investment that will provide opportunities for future private sector job growth."
"As we continue efforts to grow Arkansas' economy and put people back to work, local airports can provide a link to developing economic opportunities. The construction and improvements funded with these federal dollars will be a boost for job creators in our state, said Crawford.
"Local airports are critical for economic growth in local cities across the state," said Womack. "These grants provide funding for vital maintenance to facilities like the Springdale Municipal Airport to improve the safety and efficiency for its employees and customers alike."
"Our local airports connect communities all across Arkansas to the world and help sustain economic development throughout the region," said Ross. "The investments in these airports will help make the necessary infrastructure and safety improvements to keep the airports and the region growing."
Eight Small Arkansas Airports Land Federal Funding for Improvements
Arkansas Airports Land Federal Funding for Improvements
Millions for Conway Municipal Airport Construction