The Arkansas Department of Emergency Management said the Detco Industries plant where an explosion occurred today had papers on file showing that it used hydrofluoric acid, sulfuric acid and methanol in its operations. It isn`t immediately known what burned at the plant. Detco produces industrial chemicals and cleaners in the forms of liquids, powders and aerosols. Hydrofluoric acid has a number of uses in industry and, since it is a corrosive, is used in etching glass. Sulfuric acid has a number of uses as well and can be found in some dyes, paints, explosives and fertilizers. Methanol is a flammable, poisonous liquid and can be used as a fuel, solvent and paints. Jennifer Gordon of the Emergency Management Department says outside of the evacuation zone, people should not have health concerns because of the explosions and fire. ------ Safety material for the chemicals include these warnings for them their normal state and when they are involved in fires: Hydrofluoric acid A poison and a corrosive, hyrdofluoric acid is an extremely hazardous liquid and vapor. It can cause severe burns which may not be immediately painful or visible. May be fatal if swallowed or inhaled. Liquid and vapor can burn skin, eyes and respiratory tract. Can cause bone damage. If fire is involved: Nonflammable, but reaction with certain metals can generate flammable and potentially explosive hydrogen gas. On heating to decomposition, could yield toxic fumes of fluorides. Sulfuric acid Acute contact can result in rapid destruction of tissue, causing severe burns. Mist or vapor can irritate lungs, nose or throat. If swallowed, in can cause severe damage to throat or stomach. Repeated contact can cause dermatitis and inflammation of upper respiratory tract leading to chronic bronchitis. May aggravate pre-existing respiratory diseases. If fire is involved: Nonflammable, but if heated to decomposition, can give off toxic fumes of sulfur oxides. Will react with water or steam to produce toxic and corrosive fumes. Methanol Acute toxicity by ingestion, inhalation or skin contact is low, though high concentrations can produce headache, drowsiness, blurred vision, nausea, vomiting, blindness, and death. Prolonged or repeated skin contact can cause irritation and inflammation. When involved in a fire, methanol will ignite and produce toxic gases, including carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and formaldehyde. The vapors of methanol are heavier than air and may spread long distances. Distant ignition and flash-back are possible.