Dementia and Seniors
Dementia is caused by the destruction of brain cells. Dementia makes it difficult for seniors to remember things or communicate thoughts. Seniors with dementia often have trouble performing simple tasks and taking care of themselves. Dementia can also play a role in mood or personality changes.
Symptoms of Dementia:
- Recent memory loss
- Trouble performing familiar tasks
- Problems with language
- Time and place disorientation
- Trouble with abstract thinking
- Mood changes
- Misplacing things
- Changes in personality
- Losing initiative and becoming passive
- Decline in time spent seeing other people or going places
If your relative or loved one has signs of dementia, make an appointment to discuss treatment options with your doctor. If you are a caregiver, it is recommended that you see the doctor with the patient.