- Exercise regularly; exercise programs like Tai Chi that increase strength and improve balance are especially good.
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist to review medicines—both prescription and over-the counter—to reduce side effects and interactions.
- Have your eyes checked by an eye doctor at least once a year.
- Improve home lighting
- Reduce home hazards that can lead to falls.
- Avoid high heeled shoes, flip flops, walking in stockings or socks with no shoes, or slippers with slick soles.
- Have your feet measured when you get new shoes as feet can shrink with age.
- Make your shower or bath area safer with such things as railing and a shower chair
- Consult your doctor if you have trouble balancing or fall regularly.
Tips to Prevent Falls