The Arkansas Agriculture Department will have a presentation of Arkansas Century Farm signs and certificates Tuesday afternoon (December 18) at 1:30 in Batesville.
The presentation will be at the Citizens Bank annex on College Street across from the courthouse.
The Arkansas Century Farm program is a new program that recognizes Arkansas's rich agricultural heritage and honors families who have owned and farmed the same land for at least 100 years. The program is voluntary, places no restrictions on the land, and does not require a fee.
To qualify, farms have to meet the following criteria:
- The same family must have owned the farm for 100 years by December 31, 2012.
- The line of ownership from the original settler or buyer may be through children, grandchildren, siblings, and nephews or nieces, including through marriage and adoption.
- The farm must be at least 10 acres of the original land acquisition and make a financial contribution to the overall farm income.
Click here for more information on the Arkansas Century Farm program.
Click here for an online application.The following northeast Arkansas farms will be awarded a sign and certificate:
- Simmons/Hayden Farm in Jackson County owned by Ransom Hayden and Jane Simmons Hayden of Searcy.
- Kerley Farm in Randolph County owned by Ronald Kerley, Virginia Kerley and Matthew Kerley all of Maynard.
- Oliver Farm in Fulton County owned by Frank and Oneta Oliver of Salem.
- Wanda L. Stewart Farm in Stone County owned by Wanda L. Stewart of Mountain View.
- Dunn-Crabtree Farm in Randolph County owned by Sarah Dunn Crabtree of Imboden.
- Rickey and Glenda Kay Carter Farm in Independence County owned by Rickey and Glenda Kay Carter of Sulphur Rock.
- Ronny and Nancy Carter Farm in Independence County owned by Ronny and Nancy Carter of Sulphur Rock.
- Larry and Michael Carter Farm in Independence County owned by Larry, Beverly, and Michael Carter of Sulphur Rock.
- William Scott Carter Farm in Independence County owned by William Scott Carter of Sulphur Rock.
- William Henry and Janet Carter Farm in Independence County owned by Janet Carter of Sulphur Rock.
- Guthrey Farm in Clay County owned by Clarence and Estel Guthrey of Corning.
- David Gibson Farm in Fulton County owned by David and Seani Gibson of Ash Flat.
- Danny Gibson Farm in Fulton County owned by Daniel and Tina Gibson of Ash Flat.
- Don Gibson Farm in Fulton County owned by Donald and Billie Gibson of Ash Flat.
- Joseph Wyatt Harrell Farm in Craighead County owned by Nan Snider, Carroll McAfee and Alvis Snider all of Monette.
- Murphy Farm in Sharp County owned by Danny and Virginia Murphy of Hardy.
- McCallister-Sutterfield Farm in Stone County owned by Linda Sutterfield, Patricia Hamlin, Eula Storey, Charles Jeffries, and James Jeffries all of Mountain View.
- Yancey Farm in Izard County owned by Jack and Margaret Yancey of Brockwell.
- Morris Homestead in White County owned by Morris Street, Judy Cooke, Bruce Street, Scott Street, Josie Belle, John Belle and Just Belle of Batesville and Cave City.
- Thomas-Smart Farm in Clay County owned by Thomas Henry Smart of Piggott.
- Granny Holligan Farm in Greene County owned by Carolyn Long Palmer of Paragould.
- Starnes and Forehand in Lawrence County owned by Relton Forehand of Walnut Ridge.
- Rushing Farms in Stone County owned by Terence Rushing of Fox.