- The POWERBALL jackpot has rolled over 15 times since October 6, resulting in the largest lottery jackpot worldwide for Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - an estimated $500 million! On Tuesday, this jackpot was increased to $500 million from the originally projected $425 million due to stronger-than-anticipated sales.
- The $500 million jackpot is the largest POWERBALL jackpot ever. (The biggest jackpot in the game so far was a $365 million prize split by eight co-workers at a Nebraska meat-packing plant in February 2006).
- A sole jackpot winner for this drawing will have the option to be paid in 30 annual installments or as a one-time, lump-sum cash option of $327.4 million.
- In addition to the huge jackpot prize, hundreds of thousands of players will win secondary prizes at cash levels ranging from $4 to $1 million in tonight's drawing (and $12 to $2 million if the winning player has purchased the Power Play option).
- Education and a variety of other programs determined by each state benefit from strong sales from a large jackpot like this one. For example, in Florida, where 40% of Powerball sales go to educational enhancement, the current jackpot run will generate at least $45 million for scholarships, schools and programs
- There are 44 lotteries currently selling the POWERBALL game to a population of 255,755,705 million with tickets being sold through over 152,000 terminals. The drawing show is uplinked live to over 150 television stations (including KARK 4) every Wednesday and Saturday night at 10:59 p.m. Eastern Time.
- The improvements that were made to the game in January of this year have been a success. Even though the $2 game was in play for only half of Fiscal year 2012, sales were up 35% over the previous fiscal year's sales. In ten months, the improved game already has produced jackpots of $320 million, $325 million and $500 million. The $1 million "second prize" for matching five of five has already been won 340 times, with opting for Power Play taking 52 of these prizes to $2 million.
- While large jackpots generate excitement among players, the Lottery wants to remind players to play responsibly and not spend beyond their means. Like with all other lottery products, players must be 18 years of age or older to purchase POWERBALL tickets.
Facts about the Powerball Lottery and its largest jackpot ever