Pea Ridge Superintendent Rick Neal says the student was airlifted Friday to Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock with an unknown illness.
On Tuesday, the school learned from the Arkansas Department of Health (ADH) that the student had been diagnosed with the infection.
The school then took action to disinfect all the surfaces the child had been in contact with, including inside the cafeteria and on their bus. The school also sent out a fact sheet to parents provided by ADH.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, viral meningitis is an infection of the meninges (the covering of the brain and spinal cord) that is caused by a virus. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, photobia (sensitivity to light), and altered mental status.