They are the first group of "Discovery Camp Counselors."
The team of 19 central Arkansas teens make up the new volunteer leadership program designed to assist with the science center's summer camps June 11 - August 3.
Nineteen young people in grades 8-11 have been selected to mentor summer camp attendees in an environment that fosters a passion for science, technology and math. Successful candidates completed an application process that included a written teacher reference, an interview, parental support, work ethic examples, previous working history with children, and a written explanation of why they wanted to volunteer at the museum.
"We are fortunate to have such a great group of young leaders," said Volunteer Coordinator Debra Grandle. "Because they will be working with children, we asked a lot of them. We are confident this select group of teens will develop leadership skills that will take them farther than the time they spend here," she stressed.
Counselor responsibilities will include, but not be limited to: actively participating in workshops; leading by example; displaying a positive, displaying courteous and professional demeanor; assisting museum educators with camp activities; setting up rooms and lab equipment; and cleaning work areas.
"Because the application process is so specific, we know these young adults want to be here," said Nan Selz, executive director for the museum. "They have a genuine interest in math, science and technology. And, they want to mentor the campers," she added. Program recruitment efforts included contacting school guidance counselors, deans of students and multiple extra-curricular organizations.
The Museum of Discovery is hosting more than 25 camps this summer, covering numerous areas of science. Themes include "Lights, Camera, Action!" - a behind the scenes look at filmmaking and techniques; "Your Evil Genius" - a ton of bubbling, popping awesome science; "Tinkering Academy" - hands-on building; "Jr. MD" - the world of medicine and the human body; and more. For more information on the museum's summer camps, visit http://museumofdiscovery.org/node/108 or call 501.537.3073.
- Khadijah Alexander - Central High School
- Jordan Bolden - eStem Public Charter School
- Lauren Bradley - eStem Public Charter School
- Simmery Branch - Hall High School
- Bridgette Brown - Conway High School
- Jade Carpenter - Central High School
- Jermonica Ellis - LISA Academy
- Andrew Gu - Arkansas School for Math and Science
- Duyen Ha - Mount St. Mary Academy
- Daniel Han - Wilbur D. Mills High School
- Nate Hunter - LISA Academy
- Taylor Lockhart - Episcopal Collegiate School
- Caroline Minor - Central High School
- Brylea Palmer - Horace Mann Middle School
- Kkye Rippantrop-Pridmore - Episcopal Collegiate School
- Connor Steely - Christ Lutheran School
- Miguel Valderrama - Central High School
- Tessa Wolff - LISA Academy
- Samone Woodall - eStem Public Charter School