An Arkansas soldier has died accidentally while going through basic training at Fort Benning, Georgia. Private Van Ryan Marcum of Prescott was on a training range during an exercise Saturday morning when he touched a highly charged metal structure and was shocked. He was 21 years old. Base spokeswoman Elsie Jackson said drill sergeants rushed to Marcum`s aid and tried to revive him, but could not. An ambulance rushed Marcum to a base hospital and E-M-T`s continued first-aid without success. He was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at the hospital, Jackson said. He had been at Fort Benning with the Infantry Training Brigade since late April. He was halfway through a 14-week basic training and could have been deployed to the Middle East this fall. Base officials are still investigating why the metal structure was carrying such a powerful electric charge. Jackson said there are few metal structures on the training range and the area around Fort Benning and Columbus, Georgia, have experienced electrical storms almost daily.