Grilled Butterfly Leg of Lamb
1 leg of lamb, approximately 4 pounds, bones and shank removed (ask your butcher)
1 shallot, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, rough chopped
1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and cracked pepper to taste
Extra sprigs rosemary for
1. Preheat grill to
medium to high heat.
2. Flatten leg of lamb by using a meat tenderizer or meat mallet, so lamb is flat (or ask your butcher to do this). Place in a deep glass dish.
3. Sprinkle shallots and garlic on both sides of leg. Season with cracked black pepper.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper to make the marinade. Pour over lamb and let marinate for at least 1 to 2 hours, turning twice to ensure even coating. Set aside extra unused marinade.
5. Remove lamb from marinade and place on grill. Cook for approximately 30 to 35 minutes, turning occasionally and basting with reserved marinade. For medium lamb, internal temperature with a thermometer should read 138°.
6. When lamb is done, remove from grill and let rest for 8 minutes, then slice into 1/4-inch slices across the grain of the leg. Garnish with sprigs of rosemary.
© 2008 MSNBC Interactive