The Pulaski County Sheriff's Office says no charges are expected to be filed against Carlson.
He remains hospitalized with severe damage to his left hand.
Original Story (Wednesday, 7:55 a.m.):
Mix a national celebration with explosives and bad things are bound to happen...
While you've probably heard stories of people injuring themselves while setting off fireworks, it's not too often someone nearly blows off his hand trying to set off a homemade cannon.
Deputies say that's exactly what Gregory Carlson did. Now, he'll be spending the 4th of July in the hospital.
Pulaski County Sheriff's Deputies say Carlson was working on a cannon in a barn outside his home in the 28000 block on Kanis Road in Paron Tuesday afternoon. Carlson told investigators he was trying to pack Pyrodex into the cannon when it ignited and exploded. When officers found him, he had severe damage to his left hand along with burns on his chest and face.
When investigators looked around the area where the explosion occurred, they found a finger and other pieces of flesh.
Paramedics rushed Carlson to the hospital where he now likely has a long road to recovery ahead.
Various agencies including the ATF were notified about the incident. There's no word if Carlson will be charged with any crimes.